What to Look for in a Rehab Facility
When choosing a rehab facility that utilizes holistic practices, it’s important to do your research to make sure that the center fits your individual needs. Here are some qualities to look for in a reputable treatment facility.
- A variety of treatment options. There is no one-size-fits-all approach when it comes to addiction recovery, so any facility you seek treatment from – holistic or traditional – should offer a variety of options. The best centers will tailor a program to meet your specific needs based on your substance abuse history, health history, and even your favorite activities. If you choose inpatient treatment, it’s also important to find a facility that offers options for how long you stay. Some people gain the tools they need in 30 days, but others find they benefit from staying for several months. Finally, if you want your personal program to include holistic teachings, find out ahead of time what your chosen rehab center offers. It doesn’t have to offer holistic therapies exclusively, but it should offer at least a few options for you to choose from.
- Staff credentials. You deserve to be treated by rehab professionals who are trained and certified in their field. This is also true of holistic services such as acupuncture, yoga and nutrition. Ask about the staff experience and credentials of any rehab facility you consider working with.
- Facility accreditation. Each state has its own accreditation standards, which are enforced to ensure that patients are being cared for in a safe environment by responsible professionals. There are also federal regulations for being accredited at the national level. Ideally, the facility you choose will adhere to guidelines at state and federal levels. Most centers list their accreditation status on their websites, but if you’re unsure, ask for their credentials.
- Payment options. Many insurance providers pay for some or all of substance abuse treatment. However, if you’re not covered by insurance, it’s important to find a facility that will work out a payment plan with you.
- Follow-up support. Sobriety is a lifelong journey that doesn’t end when your stay in an inpatient facility concludes or you no longer attend sessions at an outpatient facility. Find a rehab center that provides ongoing follow-up support or helps you find services that you can continue using outside of it, like support groups, sponsors and/or professional therapy. Likewise, holistic care shouldn’t stop once you’ve graduated from rehab, so find a facility that will connect you with specialists you can work with once you get home, such as nutritionists, yoga instructors, massage therapists and acupuncturists.